Different Grass Seed Brands Available in Australia
There are different grass seed brands available in Australia, yet before you even choose a brand, you need to determine the type or kind of grass you need. The questionnaires and guidelines below can help you assess which to plant:
- Is it for a new lawn or do you just have to cover bare patches on your lawn quickly? This will give you an idea on the type of grass seed to buy.
- How often does your yard receive sun? Is it partially lit, completely lit, or is there zero sun exposure or a general abundance of sun? Some grass seed requires sun to thrive and grow well.
- Are you looking at a specific grass seed, such as red fescue, or a mixture of different variations of grass seeds?
- The amount of time you can devote to maintaining your lawn is another factor to consider. If you have minimum to zero time to spare watering your lawn, you must choose a grass that requires low maintenance, like grass that is designed specifically to keep water longer or has high drought resistance.
- Identify the type of soil on your lawn, is it sandy soil or clay based? The pH level of your soil contributes a lot in choosing what type of grass seed to plat. If you do not have an idea of your soil’s pH level, consulting a gardening expert’s help is a must. Most, if not all, manufacturers have placed the level of pH that the grass seed requires to grow abundantly on the package or label, if not, ask.
Other than the items listed above, you also have to consider the climate condition in your area and choose the grass seed best suited to grow in your location. Some grasses flourish best in colder temperatures while others require a warmer climate.
If your grass is not growing, despite all of the care you have taken, the grass seed you have chosen is not the right type of grass for where you are situated or your climate.
Grass seed types
There are 2 types of grass seed to consider, cool season grass and warm season grass:
- Cool season grass:
These grasses grow best in humid and cool or arid and cool zones. They thrive best in colder weather but can handle some heat. Samples of cool season grass are:
- Kentucky bluegrass
- Red Fescue
- Warm season grass:
This type has a high tolerance to drought and can thrive best in lawns that receive a lot of sun. During cooler seasons, this type of grass may turn brown and become dormant. Samples of warm season grass are:
- Bermuda grass
- Zoysia grass
- Bahia grass
Different grass seed brands available in Australia
There are many brands of grass seeds available to choose from in Australia. In choosing a brand, you may want to consider:
- Reading reviews online
- Asking your neighbour about the brand of grass seed they use to grow their beautiful lawn
- Asking advice from expert farmers or gardeners
Take advantage of the many brand options and choose which one can help you achieve a healthy garden and lawn.